English Teacher Training (No Longer Being Updated)

This blog was designed for my English Teaching Methodologies class in Japan. The course has ended but anyone who is interested about using blogs in teacher training ot education in general is encouraged to explore this site. We used the blog to exchange opinions about the course content, provide each other feedback on our practice teaching, and talk to current teachers. To see a blog that is currently active, please go to the English Teacher Discussion Forum.

Friday, June 10, 2005

Should English teachers call on shy students?

Last Saturday in your comments on the strength's and weaknesses of Reader's Theatre and a few weeks ago when you all critiqued my vocabulary teaching techniques, I noticed a common theme. Quite a few people wrote that the weak points of students acting out their class reading in front of class or a teacher using actual students to introduce new vocabulary (example: look at Naomi, she has LONG hair and Takeshi has SHORT hair) is that shy students will not like such activities. I was wondering do you think a teacher should encourage shy students to speak in front of the class or do you think that English teachers should just leave shy students alone? Why? If you think that English teachers should encouarge shy students to speak in front of the class, how can a teacher do this?

The above questions are optional. You DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER THEM but I think your opinions would be very helpful for me, current English teachers, and aspiring English teachers.

Have a nice weekend!

8 Comments:

  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger Bee said…

    I usually start with volunteers and then as time goes by, gently suggest names and call the shy students to participate. If there are no volunteers at all (very rare), I explain why it is important to present orally and then draw the lot.

    I would say this would depend very much on the cultural context and how "safe" the students feel in the classroom. I seldom have problems with oral presentations in Brazil because most just love talking, performing, showing off and do not mind being corrected.
    Here, younger kids love being the models for new vocabulary as long as it is playful and no negative concepts are attached to students. Teens also like when I use their names in exercises.

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger WebsiteHosting1.com said…

    **eLearning**

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is Jamie Hall, one of the quieter (quietest) members of this great web logging community. This semester, my students and I have been writing in our ...

    goldenslot
    สูตรบาคาร่า

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger General Post said…

    Thanks for providing nice information, I enjoy visiting your blog and get inspired by your writing about assessors course.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger stevejordon said…

    Thanks for sharing, Nice post!

    How to generate iTunes gift card

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger loda lasan said…

    This blog was very nice to read and give so more interesting article. But,am gamer boy so suggest you some great site about Comparison Between Auto Clicker and GS Auto Clicker Auto clicker

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger nikolo said…

    Thanks for this post Queader! Now I've got to get on and implement more thank you. I also have something for you. you can check here

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Ufa88kh said…

    I read the whole post and this is related to an amazing niche.
    Here I am sending links to some blog please read my blogs.
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    កាស៊ីណូអនឡាញ

     

Post a Comment

<< Home